Ever since the founding of the United States of America, Lady Liberty has personified the nation. She is seen as the defender of liberty and the champion of freedom for all people ... the very symbol of the United States. Through the years, the image of Liberty on coins has changed – and this collection brings together five different coins that trace the fascinating history of Lady Liberty through more than a century of U.S. coin designs.
Three of the coins were struck in 90% silver.
• The 1883-1912 Liberty Head Nickel was the first Nickel to feature Liberty. Appropriate for this era, the image is a classical portrait showing Liberty in profile. This coin is over 100 years old.
• The Standing Liberty Quarter, struck in 90% silver, was the first full-length image of Lady Liberty on a silver coin.
• The Mercury Dime, also struck in silver, features Liberty in a winged cap to represent freedom of thought.
• The Walking Liberty Half Dollar is a beautiful and symbolic design. The coin was minted silver and depicts Lady Liberty wrapped in an American flag, representing a modern depiction symbolic of a changing era.
• The final coin is the 2001 New York State Quarter, which shows the most famous image of Lady Liberty – the Statue of Liberty. This was the first time the Statue of Liberty was shown on a circulating coin.
The coins are delivered in a coin wallet with historical information to preserve and display this unique collection.